Today we’d like to introduce you to Beth Boen.
Beth, let’s start with your story. We’d love to hear how you got started and how the journey has been so far.
SHE Leads Group was born out of a desperate need to serve professional women business owners and those career women in business development roles who also have the second full-time job of caregiver to a loved one (child, fur baby, aging parent). S H E is an acronym for Supporting Heart & Enterprise™. Heart is our families and enterprise is our business or careers.
My journey in starting SHE Leads Group happened when my then eight year old son was diagnosed with some serious health issues. I had been attending a weekly 7:15 a.m. leads group for three years. I was the top lead passer and connector. I was at every meeting unless I was legitimately ill or on vacation. I informed the president of the group of my special circumstances and I asked for a hiatus to take care of my son. I knew that by taking a hiatus they did not need to keep my business category open (I am a business development trainer/speaker). Being in a niche industry, I thought there would be no problem taking a hiatus. The president of the group said, “Either you are here all the time, or you are not here at all.” He tried to force me into making a choice between being a giver in a leads group or taking care of my only child. Obviously, I left the group without hesitation.
I thought there had to be a group out there that honored and empowered women in dual roles just like me. I found social clutches, wine-drinking after hours mixers for women, and more strict and rigid leads groups that did not meet my needs. I had been networking in Denver for many years and knew many women. So, I decided to start my own leads group. I took what I liked about leads groups and enhanced those aspects, and what I didn’t like, I got rid of and made the opposite.
I have created something so different than anything else out there, that I have women all around Denver metro asking me to start new chapters of SHE Leads Group.
Some things we do differently are:
1. No start-up businesses are allowed. I have an established network of more than 13 years in business. I want to share it, but I want to share it with a company that has a great track record and reputation. I want to share it with a company who also has an established network.
2. No MLM’s/network marketing companies. I have built my business from ground zero, putting in long hours and committed to working full-time in it. I have had failures and successes. I have learned from those failures and successes. I want to surround myself with other business women who have built an established business of their own from ground up. I want a group of women who would be willing to share their knowledge with me as I can with them. Typically, MLM/network marketing businesses do not align with our membership base.
3. Meetings after school drop off. Moms can now drop their kids off at school and still enjoy an early morning meeting. Most of our chapters meet well after school drop-off.
4. Well behaved, children who are not disruptive can attend meetings and those moms won’t be frowned upon, nor will anyone talk behind their back because they do so. You don’t have to be a mom to be in SHE Leads Group, but you do need to be OK with seeing a child at an occasional meeting.
5. Business development training at every meeting. SHE Leads Group members to have access to an entire library of training through the back end of the website. This value-added training is a compilation of my 30 years of sales, marketing and customer service experience.
6. No eating meetings or high membership dues. Many corporate groups have high membership dues and then meetings are held over a meal at a restaurant. SHE Leads Group finds professional meeting space where buying a meal is not required.
7. We only meet twice a month. We might get some criticism for this one, but I stand my ground as for our reasoning. As busy business women and moms, meeting weekly can be challenging. Relationships happen outside the meetings in one-on-one meetings where people get to know, like and trust one another. We do have an attendance policy, after all we only meet twice a month. On our off weeks we do at least one, one-on-one with another member. In following these policies, no one forgets about each other.
8. We have a thorough vetting process to do our best to ensure only top-quality businesses are in SHE Leads Group.
There are many other ways we are VERY different from other leads groups. Each differentiator and HOW we do it is an ingredient to – our “secret sauce”. Members and guests alike often tell me how different this women’s networking group is from anything else they have experienced. It is my goal to keep adding these “secret sauce” ingredients for the years to come.
We’re always bombarded by how great it is to pursue your passion, etc – but we’ve spoken with enough people to know that it’s not always easy. Overall, would you say things have been easy for you?
I started SHE Leads Group as one chapter on May 10, 2016. I had no plans of expanding it into a legitimate business. I was simply creating a group for me to network in for my other business, The Voice Customer Experience.
As women joined our first chapter, they would tell me how different and wonderful it was. Some would say to me that I needed to expand and even take it national.
In 2018, out of numerous requests and no actual plan to grow, I started up five chapters. As any good business person and marketer knows, you cannot succeed without a plan. I had six chapters running, but something was missing in those chapters. I was spread so thin running each chapter, that I had lost my culture. My HOW is my WOW and after hearing a national culture speaker, Chip Madera, I decided I needed to shut three of my chapters down and focus on the ingredients of my “secret sauce” – my HOW!
At the beginning of 2019, I worked with my business attorney to trademark SHE – Supporting Heart & Entrerprise™. I worked with my attorney and other consultants to decide how I would expand. I create the SHE Operations Manual and Policies and Procedures to ensure I never lost my HOW. I created a marketing and business plan. Most of the members in the three chapters I shut down moved to the other three chapters. I made it known to my membership that culture was never going to be something compromised for growth.
Now, at three solid chapters in Denver metro, with a fourth chapter starting July 24 under the new model for growth, we are positioned for success with our growth.
So, as you know, we’re impressed with SHE Leads Group – tell our readers more, for example what you’re most proud of as a company and what sets you apart from others.
I touched on many of those points previously. An additional item that I think helps differentiate us is how welcoming we are to guests. We treat them very differently than other leads groups to treat their guests. Additionally, we have a wonderful camaraderie in each of our chapters. That has something to do with our “secret sauce” ingredient around how we vet new prospective members and our application process to join.
I am proud of the library of business development curriculum that members have access to on the backend “Member Area” of the website. It is hours of training modules that can assist our members into being more productive and profitable. I also have some signature series classes: Mastering Referral Marketing, How to Deliver the WOW Factor of Customer Service, and How to Write Your DIY Marketing Plan.
So, what’s next? Any big plans?
We are trying to produce a SHE Women’s Business Expo and Networking Event in October of 2019 for National Women’s Small Business Month. Currently, I am tapping the shoulder of some of Denver’s brightest business women to be guest trainers/speakers at this event. Because of our great reputation, many women want to be a part of SHE Leads Group and the SHE Expo!
I also look to our membership to tell me what they want. I love their feedback. Many of these bright women have wonderful ideas to tweak our “secret sauce” to be even more appealing. Annually, I do a survey and I try to keep an open rapport with evey woman in SHE Leads Group.
My plans are to continue to grow our chapters by seeking the right kind of well-networked woman. Women who want to start their own chapter may do so. https://www.sheleadsgroup.com/metro-denver-leads-groups/start-one-of-our-metro-denver-leads-groups/
- Basic Membership for annual pre-paid is only $250/year.
- Premium Membership for annual pre-paid is only $350/year (allows members to occupy two business categories and receive additional benefits)
- Corporate Membership for annual pre-paid is only $650/year (allows members to occupy three business categories and receive additional benefits)
- Website: www.sheleadsgroup.com
- Phone: 720-722-2494
- Email: email@example.com
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/sheleadsgroup/?hl=en
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SHELeadsGroup/?ref=bookmarks
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/group_she